Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Made it to San Pedro!

Beautiful view when I was walking down the beach! Had to stop and take a picture.

We have made it to San Pedro, Belize! We took a water taxi here on Monday, and have spent the past couple days exploring the island, getting to know the people, and working on our community service hours. We plan on walking the dogs at the humane society, writing children's books, painting walls, and doing other tasks to help the city. An interesting fact about San Pedro is that they don't name their streets or have street signs!! They have 3 main roads that are "named" front street, middle street, and back street. It makes it super hard to navigate or find places! Most people drive around golf carts, which makes me love the small town, beachy feel!

One of my favorite places so far is this sweet little fruit stand! Maria lets you pick out any items you would like, and then offers to chop them up for you. I bought a fresh pineapple and was so grateful to have Maria cut it for me (because my mom always does it hehe!). She let me try the papaya she was cutting up and it was SO GOOD.

I think the main thing that surprises me about this country is how trusting everyone is. With money, with safety, with their belongings...it's a totally different world. For example, many of the excursions we took such as the ATM cave or Ziplining had no rules. There was simply a sign at the front saying "enter at your own risk." What! In America, we would have to sign wavers, have a million rules and regulations, and be restricted in many ways. In addition, their laws are so different. I've seen very few speed limit signs, and most people drive a little crazy to be honest! Every experience so far has been a positive one, and I'm super excited to get to know the people and then finally get into the classroom!!




3 comments:

  1. I love reading your updates. Love ya sweet pea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! I'm living vicariously right now! Love you! 😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing! Make sure to go to palapa bar with a bunch of people!

    ReplyDelete