Friday, April 15, 2016

Growing as a Teacher

Taking the class of 8th graders to the beach as a reward for working hard all week!
Through my time so far in my internship back home as well as my internship in San Pedro, I've learned so much about what it means to be an effective teacher. The knowledge of the content you're teaching is important, but what's even more important is the relationships you build with the students. 

Coming into a new country to teach, I felt a little out of my comfort zone and intimidated to be presenting material to students who I knew nothing about, let alone not knowing how math is taught here. Here in San Pedro, the students have really given me the chance to understand the importance of getting to know them outside of the classroom. When you gain a strong relationship with a student, you actually gain so much more: respect in the classroom, interest in what you're teaching, and having someone that looks up to you.

Bonding with one of my students through an "interview"
I never get tired of learning more about my students here! There's such an open environment that I love experiencing. I find such interest in asking them questions throughout the day, such as what their parents do, what they do in their free time, if they've always lived here, etc. Many of their parents own dive shops and restaurants or work at the local airport and hotels. Most students were born here, while some moved here from other countries in Central America when they were young. One student commutes on a water taxi every day from Caye Caulker, while others walk or ride their bikes by themselves to school. Some students have hopes of going to college, while many others want to open their own business and/or take over their parents' businesses. 




Being carefree and easy going is a main part of this simplistic lifestyle. Students aren't caught up in technology the same way that we are in America and the people are content and happy with their uncomplicated way of living. The kids here LOVE to play outside despite the heat. Since the island is small, I run into my students in various places multiple times a day. Just like if this occurred in America, some excitedly run up and say, "hi miss!!!" while others shy away and act like they don't see you, not wanting to be embarrassed by their teacher. 

I loved teaching my students back in America, and I love teaching my students here in San Pedro. Observing the similarities and learning about the differences in culture has been one of the most meaningful lessons, and I'm so thankful for the opportunity to teach here and learn in this beautiful place.

Some of my students walking back to class.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to learn more about your trip when you get home.

    ReplyDelete