Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Isla Bonita Primary School

Morning Assembly with the entire school

We had our first day of school!! Talk about a different environment...
The High School here doesn't need/want the help of interns as much as the Primary Schools do (Primary school goes up to 8th grade). SO I am teaching Standard 5 and Standard 6 math class, which is about the equivalent to 7th and 8th grade. If you think Middle School students in the U.S. are rowdy, take a step into my classroom in Belize...


Our professors and past interns from Belize tried to warn us of the energy level of the students here, but my experience the past few days have been nothing like my expectations. Although the class sizes are much smaller here (about 15 students), the classroom management is much more difficult. The students are typically free to run outside between classroom to classroom, walk into other classes without asking their teacher or being considered an "disruption", buy snacks at the concession stand in the courtyard during breaks, and overall have fewer and less strict rules than students in the U.S. This carefree environment is something that I'm not used to at all, and it is the biggest adjustment not having to feel uptight about rules and worrying so much. 

In my classroom, it's very challenging to keep the students quiet and from moving from seat to seat. They also didn't understand the same concept of raising their hands as students in America do. To my Belizean students, raising their hand (followed by jumping in their seat) meant that they had something to say and they were about to say it no matter if you called on them or not. They are very verbal and will let you know (loudly) every thought that goes through their head. They call me Miss, Teacher, or by my first name. Sometimes it feels like I'm in the finding Nemo movie where the seagulls say, "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine..." except for they say, "Miss! Miss! Miss! Miss!..." (Thank you Preston for the comparison haha!)


However, the students here are extremely lovable. They outwardly express their affection and it's only day 2! The older kids are given responsibilities such as transporting themselves to school by walking or biking and by looking after their younger siblings. Between the hugs and other tokens of gratitude, I feel extremely humbled being here. This is experience is truly eye opening and a reality check. It has been quite a change teaching in a different country, but I am learning to think on my toes and be much more flexible in my planning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment