Sunday, April 3, 2016

Scuba Diving!!


I finally put my scuba diving skills to the test and took it to the open water! I recently got certified in South Port at Blackbeard Scuba and it was one of the more difficult things that I've done... However, scuba diving in Belize is so worth it!! A boat picked us up on a nearby dock and took us to the dive shop where we picked up our air tank and BC vests (Buoyancy Control). We then got back on the boat and met our Dive Masters and captains. Again, they are so laid back and just assume you know the ropes, even though we reminded them that it was our first dive!! 

Once we got to the first dive spot, they informed us that it was shallow enough to snorkel. Personally, I am not a fan of snorkeling because you don't need the BC vest or regulator. BC vests allow you to pump air in them to keep you afloat with your big tank. This means, I had to swim around and tread water on my own!!! Most of you know I'm not the best swimmer haha! Anyways, I tried my best and was the last back to the boat. This dive location was called Shark Ray Alley, as there were multiple sharks swimming around waiting to be fed. I kept my distance for the most part...



The next location was called the Hol Chan Marine Reserve. At this location, we strapped on our gear, and immediately jumped in the water one by one. Once everyone was in, without any more instruction, our dive masters said, "everyone, let's go down!" and started sinking...My friends and I looked at each other and followed each other to the bottom. It was BEAUTIFUL! So many fish and coral everywhere...it was easy to swim around at the bottom of the ocean and I felt like I was floating. There's so much movement at the bottom of the ocean: stingrays emerging from the sand, schools of fish floating by, and coral waving around. I felt like I was in finding Nemo! I made sure to stay near the dive master so that I wouldn't get lost from the group. The coolest sea life we saw was a huge Sea Turtle! Everyone was gathered around taking pictures with their GoPros as we admired the beautiful creature. Note: you can touch the sharks, but not the sea turtles!! Interesting, right? The dive master shook his finger at me because I mixed up the two...


We start school tomorrow, finally!! Can't wait to meet my teacher and all of my students! 

No comments:

Post a Comment